Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: personal observation on the pokey thing

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:29:31 -0500

From: Paul Sinasohn <psinasohn () scopus com>

Are you sure that this is a "victory for Chris van Allen" message? His
opinion at his website - as of today's update - is not positive. It's

www.pokey.org, btw....

According to the actual website, Chris is not giving up, but is very
depressed. I think that Prema Toys is going to lose a LOT of customers
if they don't back down...They did not originate the term/name "Pokey"
and could find themselves sued by the descendents of one or more
authors....

Personally, when I was a kid, I hated Gumby and Pokey, and still do. Why
didn't they complain about Eddie Murphy's parody (which was a very close
copy of the actual figure) of Gumby on Saturday Night Live??

BTW, Prema is after a site called "Pokey.com" which is owned by a
computer consulting company. The first thing on the website is a letter
of support from Chris van Allen (the pokey.org kid)

Prema is in San Rafael, fairly close to San Quentin prison, just across
the bay from me. As a native San Franciscan, I expect Northern
Californians (and the companies that are here) to act with more
compassion. This is really embarrassing and distasteful!

Thank you for your time and attention.
Paul Sinasohn
Technical Writer,    Scopus Technology - HQ
510-768-2211     psinasohn AT scopus DOT com
There is a fine line between a groove and a rut -
which one are you traveling in?