Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Some more comments from people who have lived in Germany

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 17:47:14 -0500

Date: 31 Dec 95 17:39:30 EST
From: Allan Davidson <74777.1172 () compuserve com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>

Dave,

I lived in Germany for several years in the 70's and have spoken German
fluently since I was a small child. As everywhere, it's important to know
the language, customs and  mentality of a country to appreciate the
context of events like the German CServe saga. While the idea that
Germany's bureaucrats would undertake something of this magnitude is
worrying, I'd be vastly more concerned if some more or less broadly based
political witchhunt had motivated it. Please don't get me wrong, I
consider this a very serious issue, but a bureaucracy's stupidities don't
necessarily represent a nation's will or values, as almost any American
can attest to.

The German bureaucracy/civil service is both powerful and dogmatic; much
more so than in most of the rest of Europe. Once laws or regulations come
into force, they take on a quasi-holy quality for the bureaucracy, and
are treated almost as articles of faith. Common sense does not enter the
equation; bureaucrats apparently consider that they're paid to *not* use
common sense or make value judgements. The military's obligation to
unquestioningly execute orders issued by the civilian authority is
probably the closest parallel in the American experience - soldiers
aren't paid to decide whether the orders make sense.

Almost anybody who's dealt with German ministries has been told that
"Ordnung muss sein" which can be loosely translated as "This
regulation/law is part of the greater scheme of things and it isn't for
me to necessarily understand its role. But I do have to carry it out and
I intend to."

The German electorate, on the other hand, has a strong sense of freedom
and understands the need for freedom of speech (or at least they did when
I lived there). By nature the Germans are great pessimists; they
generally see the direst of potential outcomes when analysing an event or
events. They are also an eminently sensible and practical people, having
lived through very harsh times which they still remember well. And while
the political rules  changed after the merger of East and West Germany, I
doubt they've has changed that much.

That's why I think that the better German papers likely offer the most
useful barometer of future developments and the eventual outcome of the
CServe saga. If the media frame this as a freedom of speech issue (ie not
threatening policitical or social stability), the German body politic are
likely to reject these bureaucratic excesses.

The time to start really worrying is if the above does not happen,
because it will show that the general rightwards trend in Europe has
reached a dangerous level.

That said, an equally important and fundamental question is why CServe
backed down so readily:
o Why didn't CServe fight the issue of free speech in the German courts
(Germany has a first-class legal system). Wouldn't they have been able to
mobilize support from civil libertarians and perhaps from other major
on-line providers (who are just as exposed as CServe)?
o Isn't CServe's behavior a prime example of Munich-style appeasement?
Can CServe afford to give the impression that it's easy prey for
marrauding bureaucrats and politicians? Especially when major providers
face so many threats to their long-term survival?

Best

Allan Davidson
Executive Producer
Sound*Bytes