Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Massive SPAM Increase {-2.6} {-2.6}

From: Vini Engel <vini () fugspbr org>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:06:22 +1000

Kurt Seifried said the following on 09/10/06 14:06:
You got joe-jobbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job

What MTA do you run?

seifried.org Mail looks like this:

Sorry when I asked what MTA, I wanted to know what MTA Alex runs.

Alex, please tell us what MTA you run!

Your mail structure looks nice!

Internet

Firewall - OpenBSD with spamd (defaults) and very agressive greytrapping.This catches about 90% of my spam (the main idea is to reduce load on spamassassin and make sure I'm talking to a real mail server). For example if you try to email kurs () seifried org or kuru () seifried org you get black listed (so often spammers go in alphabetical order hit those before kurt () seifried org) I also have a script that checks the maillogs for undeliverable addresses and adds those (about 3000 in all added, very few new ones being added now).

Incoming MX servers - two servers running Postfix with various anti-spam things enabled.

Mail server - Postfix server with spamassassin and some procmail filtering for attachments/etc to my personal accounts. IMAPS server for mail retrieval.

So tell me once your OpenBSD accepts the mail, it goes to the postfix machines. Does the OpenBSD server know what users are valid and what aren't? Do you postfix MXs know what users exist or don't?

So currently I have two main lines of defense against spam: OpenBSD spamd and spamassassin. I have not yet enabled Bayes filtering, which would provide an additional level of spam filtering (I get 2-3 spams a day to my accounts so it's not enough to bother me enough to setup Bayes filtering).

I am running SA on my server, it work well but I am studying a move onto dspam. I think it will give me much more granularity than SA, people say that it is also much more accurate. I am yet to see!

Vini