Security Incidents mailing list archives

Massive SPAM Increase

From: Alex <incidents () alex gotdns org>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 18:02:04 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I don't know if I'm a target of some SPAM attack or if it is just business as usual.

In the past day or two, I started seeing a lot ( ~ 3000/day ) bounces from SPAMers forging my domain in their "From:" address. I probably have over 10000 bounces now.

However, what is unusual is the following:
  - The actual spam is sent From "domain@domain" (where domain is my domain).
- The actual spam headers attempt to forget my mail server's IP and FQDN in the "Received: " headers to make it look like I actually sent it. - Some spam messages also contain references to the dns server for my domain in them.

Most of the IP addresses look like that a large group in Poland is doing this....

And most of the messages either have the "TheBat" in "X-Mailer" or the MessageID.

I'm used to forged SPAM, but not on this scale...

-Alex