Security Incidents mailing list archives

nmap reveals trinoo_master on router

From: fahimdxb () gmail com
Date: 18 Oct 2006 11:35:34 -0000

On my Cisco Router, I do a nmap scan from outside on the Internet. The result is:

" Interesting ports on *.*.50.1:

Not shown: 1676 closed ports
PORT      STATE    SERVICE
23/tcp    filtered telnet
135/tcp   filtered msrpc
1524/tcp  filtered ingreslock
27665/tcp filtered Trinoo_Master

I am worried about the last two entries. The last nmap was done in Feb this year and I have confirmed that the two port
entries (tcp 1524/27665) did not exist then.
Though the port state "filtered" is a solace but I am still concerned. How can I be sure that the system has not been
compromised?

Also the current IOS Version of my Router 2811 is 12.4. It was the same case with open ports when I was using older
Router Series 1700 v 12.2, so I thought maybe, it's an IOS issue and I upgraded my Router to 2811 with IOS v 12.4
yesterday. But as soon as I plugged it into the circuit and did a re-scan, I realised the nmap again gives the
trinoo_master entry with state as filtered.

Where could lie the problem. Is it with my firewall (PIX 515) configuration behind the router?
Please Advise!!

I have seen Cisco's tech doc that exists here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk59/technologies_white_paper09186a0080174a5b.shtml

One of the solutions suggested therein is to implement "ip verify unicast reverse-path" on the serial interface, but am
not sure what will it serve? Also, I suspect that I had other problems when I gave this command so I reversed it.

"sh process cpu" only shows cpu utilisation of about 5-6%.
Please advise!!