Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Decrease in Threats?

From: Bill Borton <bborton () conwin com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:46:14 -0600

Hi there,

Your mention of fewer viruses but not spam made me think this might
be worth mentioning:

One of my mail servers that was getting 15,000 - 20,000 inbound
infected messages a month was also getting pounded by spam.
I an attempt to mitigate the spam I implemented "Greylisting".
It's working very well for that site.  I don't have hard numbers
available at the moment, but I guesstimate that it took spam
down by about %90.

The thing is, it also blocked the majority of inbound infected
messages as well.  It went from tens of thousands to hundreds.
It makes perfect sense, but it definitely caused me a double
take when I first looked at it...

-Bill

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:55:09 -0500