Security Incidents mailing list archives

Decrease in Threats?

From: "Rohny Jotton" <rohnyjotton () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:55:09 -0500

In the last 30 days, I have experienced a extraordinary decrease in email threats being stopped at the edge and also being seen on our quarantine server. My first thought was something got in and disabled our security services, but upon investigation that is not the case. It looks like the quantity has indeed dropped, and I am trying to confirm it (only virus's, worms, etc.; not spam).

I've been trying to find any trending of threats seen worldwide, and the only one I have found is at f-secure. The chart seems to support what I'm seeing but I'm curious if others are seeing a decrease also. If indeed the threats are dropping off, is it due to the efforts undertaken to mitigate the WMF flaw?

Also if anyone knows of other sites that show historic trends, I'd appreciate being given the link. I see most antivirus sites will only give percentage breakdowns and not quantities seen.

Thanks You