Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Re: They got me!!!

From: "Eliah Kagan" <degeneracypressure () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:19:49 -0400

1) rootkits,trojans..ect are put there by people with a lot more
knowledge then the average person. In most cases, you will never
Find the person.

If the attack is personal, rather than impersonal and automated, then
you may well find the person. For instance, many stalkers are also
(albeit older than the stereotype would have you believe) script
kiddies, and combine the two. A little investigatory work can often
reveal the identity of the attacker. Rootkits and trojans are often
used by people who know how to followed dumbed-down directions on a
website, and no more. And even when they are installed by highly
competent malicious hackers, people make mistakes.

Consider computer crime as a subset of crime in general. Many if not
most people who are stalked or anonymously harassed strongly suspect
one individual as the culprit, and are right. Professional
investigators typically obtain their first lead or leads by asking the
victim who the victim thinks is the culprit. If your box has been
owned and it looks like a personal attack rather than an automated
one, you might already know who did it. (Or it could very well be one
of your kids' friends or enemies from school.)

In the case being discussed in this thread, though, there doesn't seem
to be any compelling evidence thus far revealed to suggest that the
attack was personal. It was probably automated: spyware, exploitation
of a bug in IE, malware spammed in by email, and so forth, as people
have suggested.

It is important to recognize that common spyware often uses rootkits.
The two most celebrated examples are CoolWebSearch and the DRM rootkit
that Sony used. Substantial programming skill is needed to write a
rootkit, not to use one on somebody.

6) I know Zone Alarm can do this, I'm sure yours can. - set program
control to not allow anything to run without prompting you. Make sure
You erase any past access. Reboot the box and see what wants to run on
your box.

Program control is a useful tool, but it is not guaranteed to work
against a kernel-mode rootkit. Once a hacker can run arbitrary code on
your system, you can never trust anything your system (that is, any
program of any kind running on your system) tells you. The whole point
of rootkits is to make detection and prevention methods--like program
control--fail silently.

-Eliah