Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: They got me!!!

From: "Levenglick, Jeff" <JLevenglick () fhlbatl com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:04:03 -0400

The one obvious place to start is with your kids. Assuming what you say
is true, that your patched current on your os and firewall, then it
Is possible that someone ran something before you left. (sounds like a
root kit) Not sure if using tools to try to figure out what happened
will
Make much sense at this point. I would be more worried that someone may
have files....ect from your harddisk.

A long shot...

1) I'm assuming that you have a router setup. Check the logs to see what
ports and ip's have come in through it during the time you were out.
2) Check with your isp. Some of them are helpful if you tell them you
may have been hacked. You may be able to give them your current ip and
Have them filter a log for that time frame.

3) Try running netstat -an   and look for any odd outbound connections
with strange ports. Then google or yahoo to find what it is.

The biggest help will be finding the port in use or that was used. (and
the ip) Most root kits/trojans will keep sending to a ip and port, you
Can then find info on what it does.