Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd identd behavior

From: "Kevin Wetzel - ISP Toolz" <kevin () isptoolz com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:24:37 -0500

I seriously doubt that somebody could get arrested simply for portscanning. Especially with the fact that some security devices and products can and do scan attackers. This person would have had to attempt to break in to cause any real issue. A portscan in and of itself is not unlawful. The intent however is the key. If you are portscanning with the "intent" of breaking into or bypassing security authentication methods then it can be considered malicious in some locations if they have some strange laws on the books.

If we prosecuted every person that portscanned us daily we would tie up the court system so bad that they would not be able to get any real "work" done.

Kevin Wetzel
ISP Toolz
http://www.isptoolz.com/

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manuel Lanctot" <mlanctot () forcom ca>