Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd identd behavior

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:00:14 +0100

On 2005-11-16 Levenglick, Jeff wrote:
You scanning someone else without their permission is not network
trouble shooting.

That's a completely unfounded assertion. First of all, I don't need
anyone's permission to to a scan. Period. It's a common but nonetheless
wrong claim that a scan (which is merely a way to determine which
services are running on a specific host) would require someone's
permission. Second, you can use nmap in several ways. You may very well
probe one specific service instead of running a full-scale scan. Third,
finding out what causes specific (suspicious) entries in my logs
qualifies very well as network troubleshooting. At least in my book.

The law is very open. Yes, there is nothing on nmap,

There's not only nothing on nmap, but nothing on port-scanners or port-
scanning in general.

but isp's have usage statements that target server and hacking tools.
(Ie: a home user is not supposed to use their line for a server....
ect)

Not every ISP has theses statements, and anyone who agrees to conditions
like that deserves what they get. Besides, the terms of an ISP contract
hardly qualify as "legal trouble".

You can pretty much call any isp and complain about a scan and have them
warn or suspend an account. Granted, it needs to be a valid scan, not a
quick few second random scan.

If my ISP would suspend my account because of someone complaining about
a portscan, they'd find themselves in court faster than they can spell
"lawsuit".

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

P.S.: Please don't CC me, I do read this list.
--
"Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files,
erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."