Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DoS attack... what to do?

From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie () fantasyfarm com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:04:03 -0500

On 4 Jan 2005 at 16:44, Mark C wrote:

1) Netsky's 5556 is TCP, so I'd fire up netcat or something and see if
actual 3-way handshakes happen.  If yes, then it's much less likely that
it's someone out in the world spoof SYNflooding you.  If no, then I'd
treat this as a SYNflood and trace backwards through the ISP, you'll
probably find it's coming from far fewer sources than you think.

How do you do this?  If the packets coming in have forged source-IP
addresses, how do you trace them backwards?

  /Bernie\

--
mailto:bernie () fantasyfarm com     Pearisburg, VA