Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: DoS attack... what to do?

From: "Craig Skelton" <craig () craigskelton com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:33:17 -0800

Actually, many ISPs are not terribly happy to "work with you", as "their
time" is a resource just as much as their bandwidth is, and this often
requires the attention of the most senior people. Customers who repeatedly
get DoS'd often find themselves invited to take their business elsewhere.

Many ISP's also lack the gear to do much anyway, even if they could. Placing
10,000 hosts into an ACL is never a particularly fun idea, but they should
be able to use CARS or some type of shaping to limit your exposure. I've
done similar things (mostly always IRC related). If they have big iron, then
they should be able to do layer 3 filtering or routemaps.

Now the question is: Who did you piss off?

Do you own any of the domains listed? I assume you've looked some of them
up? I added one to the bottom of this email; you might garner a clue as to
who is involved by speaking to these people.

Just for fun, do what others have suggested and sniff the traffic. Tcpdump
will even work. Find out if its IRC traffic by any chance. Who knows,
perhaps you've got a botnet?

Anyway, simple requests to the isp are the best. Things like "please block
port x to ip x.x.x.x. None of the traffic to that port is legitimate."

Whois to follow: