Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: <lightweb () adelphia net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 22:28:32 -0500

Having dealt with a great many spyware infections,
I've successfully removed all of those that were
identified with no negative side effects.  I've never
had to have a workstation rebuilt.

I think that it would behoove the list and this effort
in general if you could be a bit more specific about
the conditions under which a removal damaged a
workstation.  For example, was the removal done by
hand?  If not, and a tool was used, which tool was it,
and which bit of spyware was involved?

I have been working a case where I removed the ad/spyware using adaware.  after removing what was found ( vx2, claria,
mysearchbar, and about 10 others don't have the system here as the customer wanted it back for a few days ) and
rebooting. clicking on the IE icon it took 2 + minutes for the browser to open up.  restored the quarantined files IE
opens up in 4 - 5 seconds.  I wasn't able to narrow down which spyware was causing this before the customer needed to
take the machine.

I should have it back the first of the week and will post an update.

Alan Page