Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: "James C Slora Jr" <Jim.Slora () phra com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 20:04:47 -0500

MS KB833633 has details about how to accomplish the GP. Their policy does
not go far enough IMO, but the technique is the same for whatever changes
you wish to make.

http://seclists.org/lists/bugtraq/2004/Jul/0085.html
Has relevant registry information to help create a My Computer lockdown
policy template.

I like to keep outdated ActiveX killbits set in GP even though current
patches kill them - just in case a machine gets missed or they get unkilled
through some means.

Turning off WSH has also been good for me.
As has setting Outlook to use its internal editor instead of MS Word.

The Silent Runners site and script are excellent and updated sources for
startup locations (many are GP-controllable). Locking these locations
prevents many automatic startup vectors even if initial infection gets
through.
http://www.silentrunners.org

You might choose to manage some settings through logon scripts instead of
GP. This allows you to reset controversial lower-risk settings to safe
defaults at login, but still allows users or applications to change the
settings if necessary.

Illuminatus Master wrote Friday, January 07, 2005 14:20

James,
That's the answer I was hoping to see, GP is my prefered
choice as it lets me administer the entire domain without
having to touch each machine, it also prevents non-privledged
user from lowering the security settings.

For those that have answered with "use Mozilla/Firefox", It
would be the ideal solution but for a few concerns. I have
considered deployment and do use it on my own machines but
the drawbacks of distributing it across a domain are obvious:
-It cant be controlled in a group setting (like AD Group Policy).
-It cant be updated en-masse (as far as I know).
-It would require a hands-on for each work station to
install/patch, not the prefered option for overtaxed IT staff.
-The above could lead to another major issue if/when a
critical vuln/exploit for mozilla/firefox surfaces and you
have to reinstall/patch each client by hand (too time
consuming and no way too audit which versions are on which machines).

If any admin on the list has deployed and is managing a
different browser in an enterprise setting (complete with
auditing controls sufficient to satisfy security
requirements) I'd be very happy to hear it.

To clarify the environment here, this is an enterprise grade
environment with http content filtering, distributed AV
(Symantec v9 which catches "some" malware), edge firewalls
(so "drive by" portscans to the internal LAN are null). I
suspect most of the infections are happening through banner
ads on what would otherwise be "reputable"
websites.

James If you have any other specific information on your GP
setup it could save me some legwork during implementation.

All input is welcome as the issue of malware is long overdue
for a solution and the current trend of the stuff is that it
is becoming more and more damaging.

Thanks all,
massa

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:12:22 -0500, James C Slora Jr