Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH probe attack afoot?

From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey () goldmark org>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:37:22 -0800

On Feb 6, 2005, at 7:09 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:

We're now getting hammered with the third round of ssh probes in the last
four days [one from CA, one from Brazil and one from Virginia].  I was
wondering: is there some virus or the like floating around now that
leaves an ssh-hammering zombie in its wake?  Or is it just coincidental
that we have gotten three floods?

I fear that some hosts I'm responsible for are (they almost certainly were) such zombies. chkrootkit didn't turn up anything. Is there something (in addition to anomolous ssh traffic) that I should be looking for.

But they don't seem to hammer much. They seem to do their stuff in infrequent bursts, so I don't know which machines I've cleaned, which are reinfected and which have been compromised and have gone unnoticed. Advice on eradication would be welcome.

You'll be glad to know that I've been trying to carefully monitor outgoing ssh traffic so as not to a (further) nuisance to the rest of the net.

With apologies,

-j