Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SSH probe attack afoot?

From: "j () 65535 com" <j () 65535 com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:25:43 +0000

Stephen Warren wrote:
On 6 Feb 2005, at 15:09, Bernie Cosell wrote:

We're now getting hammered with the third round of ssh probes in the last
four days [one from CA, one from Brazil and one from Virginia].  I was
wondering: is there some virus or the like floating around now that
leaves an ssh-hammering zombie in its wake?  Or is it just coincidental
that we have gotten three floods?

I got fed up with seeing this kind of thing in my logs.

So, I switched SSH to a non-default port, and it all went away:-)

Sometimes, security through obscurity is very useful. Now at least I have a small SSHD logfile, so I'll pay more attention to it if something shows up in it.

Of course, depending on your user-base, you might have to spend a lot of time on user-education after this change.

I found that all these bruteforce ssh attacks used something called "libssh" and quite clearly identify themselves as libssh when they connect and handshake..

I made a simple little patch for sshd which detects certain client strings like this, and drops the connection.. It also logs legitimate connections, so i can still see the attempts but they have no chance of success, and syslog will cut them down to "last message repeated 50 times" etc..