Security Incidents mailing list archives

Gathering volatile information

From: "Bob the Builder" <builder173 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:01:37 +0000

Hi all,
I am currently working on some of our incident response procedures and have been looking at gathering volatile data before taking a machine off line or determining whether or not to take a machine offline. On Windows you can run the Windows Forensic Toolchest which produces detailed output and can be configured to control how much forensic damage you are happy to sustain before taking a system offline for imaging.

In the Unix environment there seem to be various lists of bits and pieces but no really definitive list of commands related to gathering volatile information that you should and shouldn't run and what types of things they are likely to interfere with. Am I missing something here, does just such a list exist and I'm just not looking in the right place, or is it about time somone set about righting one? I'm not talking about a religious argument on the merits of what stage a machine should be taken offline at but more what the volatile data gathering options are that are available to you if as in incident handler you need them.

Cheers,

Bob

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?