Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Gathering volatile information

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:01:59 +1200

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:01 +0000, Bob the Builder wrote:

In the Unix environment there seem to be various lists of bits and pieces
but no really definitive list of commands related to gathering volatile
information that you should and shouldn't run and what types of things they
are likely to interfere with. Am I missing something here, does just such a
list exist and I'm just not looking in the right place, or is it about time
somone set about righting one? I'm not talking about a religious argument on
the merits of what stage a machine should be taken offline at but more what
the volatile data gathering options are that are available to you if as in
incident handler you need them.

Have you had a look at "The coroners toolkit":
http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/tct.html