Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: NKADM rootkit - Something new?

From: "Lachniet, Mark" <mlachniet () sequoianet com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:38:44 -0400

That's a good reference, and it might be useful *IF* you prepared the
machine for this ahead of time.  Reading the URL you sent, though, it is
not a feature that is enabled by default:

"This feature is disabled by default. To enable this feature, you must
edit the registry as indicated below and restart the computer. After you
restart the computer, you can generate a Memory.dmp file by holding down
the right CTRL key and pressing the SCROLL LOCK key twice."

So, for the majority of incident response done by outside agencies
(consultants, etc.) you can bet that this will not be enabled.  Heck,
most victims have the default event logging / auditing parameters.

I'd also be interested in hearing what the best way to parse that
Memory.dmp file is.  Would it contain network state information?

Mark Lachniet