Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Incident investigation methodologies

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:00:30 -0700 (PDT)

Gadi,

While it's entirely possible that a rootkit
*could* do
something, why not base what we do in fact, rather
than in speculation, rumor, and paranoia?

What you are suggesting, basically, is an
information sharing network
for different attack descriptions and information?

A forensic dictionary? :)

Admittedly, I may not have been as absolutely clear as
I could have, but I really don't see where you were
able to infer such a thing - particularly given the
title of the post.

To try again...what I'm suggesting is a documented,
verifiable, repeatable methodology for incident
response.  I'm aware that the implemented methodology
will have to specific to the platform (ie, Windows,
Linux, *nix, *BSD, etc).  I'm also aware that the
framework will have to be flexible enough to allow new
information to be incorporated.

Hopefully, that's clear enough for a start...