Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Incident investigation methodologies

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

Steven,

In the real world, production systems need to go
back into production ASAP.

This is exactly my point.  In fact, I'm taking it a
step further...that production systems cannot be taken
down w/o proper justificaition to do so.

Frontline support staff simply do not have the time
or resource
(or often even the knowledge) to conduct lengthy
forensic investigations.

Exactly, particularly to the knowledge part of your
comment.

Time = Money, that's a cold, hard fact, and there
simply isn't any way around it.

Agreed.  This is one of my reasons for starting this
thread.