Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Dameware scans, worm?

From: "Russell J. Lahti" <russell () 911 net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:35:18 -0500

Ben Nelson wrote:

Keith T. Morgan wrote:
The interesting part about the scans is that they almost universally
have a source port of 220, which to me indicates either worm activity or
a canned scanner/exploit combo with a hard-coded source-port.

Yes. I'm also seeing a large increase in tcp/6129 scans. All of the scans I am seeing also have a source port of 220, as you said. Scans are across multiple geographically dispersed class C's. The scans started mid-day yesterday for me.

After looking though our logs, here's an exact
time frame for these scans against our networks:

December 14th: Dameware Pre-Authentication
               Buffer Overflow posted on BugTraq.

December 19th: Dameware exploit posted on BugTraq.

December 21st: Beginning of wide-spread scanning for
               port 6129 on our networks.

January  10th: 2nd Dameware exploit posted on BugTraq.

January  16th: Start of scans originating from port 220.

Kind regards,

-Russell Lahti