Security Incidents mailing list archives

Dameware intrusion (was Increase in TCP 6129 (Dameware) scans?)

From: allan.vanleeuwen () orangemail nl
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 17:21:52 +0100

Hi there ....

If dameware is not somethng you normally use ... And it is the hackers point
of entry ...
Then how did dameware ever get installed ?
My guess is the boxes already got hacked in the past through some other
exploit (most likely a simple admin password and port 139/445 open)
Newbie hackers use dameware mini remote control in order to do their
installs. (for the not so knowledgable, remote control is easier then
writing an installation script). Either that ... Or someone on your internal
network has been using dameware without your knowledge. ... (he would need
an admin password in order to install the service on each box.)
You could check the DWRCS.INI to see if it was installed 'hidden' from the
user... That might tell you if the usage of dameware was a 'legit'purpose