Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New virus disguised as Microsoft patch?

From: "Kevin N. Carpenter" <kevinc () seaplace org>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:07:53 -0500

I too have received several of these todays. The only hint was the sender address, and some slightly strange wording.

Kevin C.

David Gillett wrote:

 No, this isn't the crude "500,000 already infected!"
garbage. This is an extremely polished and convincing looking html email which claims to be a "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" and includes an attached "patch8678.exe".

 I've got four of these overnight, from broadband users
as far away from Microsoft as Greece. Each is followed by an odd little NDR, presumably reporting failed delivery of
a delivery confirmation message.

David Gillett