Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange windows behaviour.

From: J Mike Rollins <rollins () wfu edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 19:39:45 -0400 (EDT)

I have seen this before.  I noticed that the Trojan performed a DNS lookup
on l0g.org.  When the IP number was returned, the Trojan would then go to
the http://l0g.org/cgi-bin/ref.cgi script.  (I suspect the Trojan has to
check-in with a server on the Internet.)

To thwart this communication, I propose the following as an Idea:

1. Modify you DNS servers to be authoritative for l0g.org
2. Create a webserver to respond as l0g.org and map l0g.org to
   this web server.
3. Create a cgi-bin/ref.cgi script to record the IP numbers
   of the REMOTE_HOST to a web page.
4. Now you have a web page recording all of your infected machines, and
   you have stopped the Trojan from checking in with the server on the
   Internet.

I think this will prevent some spam until the creator finds some new
ideas.

I have noticed that the IP number for l0g.org has been remapped a few
times over the past couple of weeks.

I currently have no ideas on how to clean the machine of the Trojan.

There seem to be two files associated with this:

A file which will install the Trojan on a machine:
        Filename:  somename.exe
        Size: 58368 Bytes.
        MD5: c41e11cc50acd26915963e073981c682

The actual Trojan:
        Filename:   C:\WINDOWS\System32:somename.dll
        Size: 113152 Bytes
        MD5: 42c94aa38c98b80c0c9c5ba0922fef52