Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange windows behaviour.

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

Peter...

What I found were a few processes listening on funky
network ports that
I didn't recognize.  hunting led me to find that
they were the windows
auto update client, the windows application layer
gateway (still a
little confused on this one), and epmap.

Okay, this is a good start.  Please bear with me, as
I'd like to try to get a little clarification.

What are the "funky network ports"?  And what kind of
"hunting" did you do?  I ask, b/c there are several
good process-to-port mapping tools available (I'm
partial to DiamondCS's openports) that will take care
of the "hunting" for you.

I hesitate to do this, but I'd like to ask if you have
specific information about these processes?  What
tools did you run?  What operating systems are we
talking about?  Did you get the full paths of the
executable images?

I'm still thinking that it's possible that whatever
this thing is (and
it *is* something, these students have a hard enough
time writing a two
page paper in a week, there's no way they're
originating out 100,000
emails in a day), it's smart enough to turn itself
off if there's no network connection.

That could be...however, there will still be a process
running.

Standard virus scanners found nothing too crazy.
Lots of tracking
cookies in the registry, a couple of garden variety
macro worms.  That's about it.

"Tracking cookies"?  Sounds like you ran more than a
virus scanner...maybe some spyware detection stuff as
well?

The methodology was to basically look for
applications listening on some
network port and investigate the origin of the
application.

Okay, good.  However, it's important to understand
"how" you're doing this.  From the scant info you've
been able to provide, I can only guess that you're not
using any kind of process-to-port mapping tool...maybe
I'm assuming too much, but I would think that if you
had, you would have mentioned this.  Such tools are
incredibly useful.  Also, tools that give you a better
view of processes, such as pslist, handle, listdlls
(from SysInternals) or tlist (from the MS Debugging
tools).  Using a few simple tools, investigating the
origin of an application is trivial.

Also
hunting in the Run portion of the registry to see
what's started at boot time.

Always an excellent choice.

Using netstat -A -o I was able to get a list
of the listening
network daemons, and I correlate them to actual
process names with the
task manager (client was running xp pro) and I used
regedit to get a look at the registry.

Ah, okay, here we go!  I strongly suggest that you
download a couple of tools and burn them to CD.

I've not heard replacing the
netstat binary on
windows as happens so often with rooted unix boxes,
but I wouldn't rule it out.

On XP, netstat is protected by WFP.  That should be
enough info for you to make a suspected-Trojaned (not
a word, I know) netstat an extremely remote
possibility.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any other tools at my
disposal.

Sure you do.

I understand that getting the info from these systems
can be an issue, but there are ways for you to collect
and correlate information in a much more efficient
manner.  The first thing you need to do is realize
that your methodology (and it's good that you have
one) can be improved.

If you're interested in doing so, contact me off list
and I'll provide you with information.

Harlan