Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: New Trojan

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () umn edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:30:47 -0600

AFAIK, there is *no* method of removal for this trojan, due to its way of
infection.  Some have speculated that there is an option for removal within
the trojan, but I have no confirmation of this -- try running strings on the
DLL, and see if you can find anything in there (i.e. grep for 'remov',
'instal').

It can be "removed" by renaming all instances of rundll32.exe at once, so System File Protection won't replace it again. Then reboot and remove it from starting up in the registry and, if you're paranoid, overwrite the ADS stream with benign text. Then rename rundll32.exe back again.

It should be also removable by unregistering the DLL then deleting the registry entry, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. I haven't tried it though.

Brian

--
Brian Eckman
Security Analyst

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
understand binary and those who don't."

Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in information security
at the largest, most highly-anticipated industry event of the year.
Don't miss RSA Conference 2004! Choose from over 200 class sessions and
see demos from more than 250 industry vendors. If your job touches
security, you need to be here. Learn more or register at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/RSA_incidents_031023
and use priority code SF4.