Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Weird Windows logon attempts

From: Jacco Tunnissen <jacco () honeypots net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:08:42 +0100

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:27:54PM +1300, Harry Hoffman wrote:

We have just setup ntsyslog from sourceforge.net. Our security policy is to
log events on failure and we have just started seeing the below events.
After talking with the users we are pretty sure that they are not
attempting to access the services. And they don't have accounts on that
system.

[...]

Feb 22 13:27:49 exchange.auckland.ac.nz/exchange.auckland.ac.nz
security[failure] 681 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  The logon to account: USERNAME  by:
MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0  from workstation: G731-220-4  failed. The
error code was: 3221225572

Feb 22 13:27:49 exchange.auckland.ac.nz/exchange.auckland.ac.nz
security[failure] 681 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  The logon to account: USERNAME  by:
MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0  from workstation: G731-220-4  failed. The
error code was: 3221225572

Hi Harry,

Although I don't exactly know the details about the NT Authentication
process, the following document might help to answer your question.

  https://www.sans.org/rr/win2000/audit_w2k.php
  Auditing the Windows 2000 Authentication Process
  Julio Silveira, April 1, 2001

Good luck,

Jacco Tunnissen
--
http://www.honeypots.net/
Honeypot & IDS Resources

<Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
Take back your personal time.
15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
<A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure";> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>