Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Help - a possible bot

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:34:46 +1300

"Moshe Aelion" <ma0934 () hotmail com> wrote:

Two weeks ago, the NAT/ICMP computer on our LAN got compromised; the hacked
installed DameWare and was trying to work on the computer. It was discovered
within about 10 minutes. I then installed ZoneAlarm Pro.
<<big snip>>

I think there are some misconceptions here.

Although ZoneAlarm should be "protecting" you, you clearly have a lot
of stuff configured for a machine that should be on a LAN, itself
protected from the real world, rather than directly on the Internet.
You may find the following detailed discussion of locking down
service bindings helpful:

   http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_win.en.html

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald