Security Incidents mailing list archives

re: Help - a possible bot

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 05:10:47 -0800 (PST)

The problem is, I am detecting a suspicious
hit/respond
activity, which, in my opinion, points to an active
bot.

No offense, dude, but you're freaking out over
nothing.  Based on the information you provided, there
IS no bot (remember "The Matrix"?  "There is no
spoon").

Here's the evidence: when inspecting ZA logs, you
can
see a blocked scan (coming every couple of minutes,
from arbitrary addresses

The "scans" you're referring to look like NetBIOS name
scans...queries to UDP port 137.  On normal MS
networks, these "scans" would originate from UDP port
137, as well.  So...they MAY be scans of some kind.
However, the fact that your system is responding would
be indicative of something else, possibly w/ your ZA
installation.

- I bet they're spoofed

Well, that's not "evidence", now, is it?  Also, since
your logs don't show an ICMP port unreachable response
(your system sent out a UDP datagram), that would
indicate that, in fact, the source IPs are NOT
spoofed.

Also, there's nothing in the netstat and fport outputs
that you sent that seem to indicate that you have any
sort of bot or trojan at all.  Is there anything
besides the traffic you posted that would lead you to
believe that you had something installed on your
system?

HTH