Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Proxy server hit... Any ideas?

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:07:18 -0800

Mike Cain wrote:

Yeah, the box came to me basically because the guy above me doesn't have
a clue about NT or about ANY security... Bad timing I guess or good
depending on how you look at it... I have just got back from meeting
with management to suggest some policies, now they want me to write an
IT policies handbook, guess I asked for that one huh? :)

So where should I start looking for de-facto policies, and such? Or
should I just use my best judgment? I'm thinking the latter is a bad
idea because if one doesn't pan out, then they say, "Well... YOU wrote
them..." :)

Again, thanks SO MUCH for all the responses. Groups like this make
learning the security scene A LOT less painful.

There is a small, but useful book that you can purchase for a nominal sum
from the SAGE portion of usenix.  I truly recommend it.

http://sageweb.sage.org/resources/publications/short_topics.html

It is short topics #2, entitled "A Guide to Developing Computing Policy
Documents." I also recommend (for this group) the short topics booklets on
"#6: A System Administrator's Guide to Auditing," and "#3: System Security:
A Management Perspective," which are also useful to anyone in the security
industry, regardless of experience level.

--
Only the mediocre are always at their best.
                Jean Giraudoux