Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 'rooted' NT/2K boxen?

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 06:54:15 -0700 (PDT)

Cody,

I understand that you didn't get to do a forensics
analysis of the system, but did you get a chance to
actually look at the fport output?  Also, when you say
that lb.exe hid the processes from "all monitoring
agents", what are you referring to?  Did you get to
see any of the output of any tools?  If so, do you
still have copies?

Do you have any idea in Russia where this "lb.exe"
came from?  Is there anything in the snort or IIS logs
that points to the site?  Do you still have a copy of
the FTP script file used?

Yeah, sorry, I meant Task Manager. I unfortunately I
don't have a copy
of lb.exe, although it was impressive. It did a
great job of hiding all
of the processes from all monitoring agents. The
only reason the person
knew they had it was they had Snort running. It
caught and logged the
Unicode attack. They were running IIS 5.0 on a
Win2000 machine, too.
Netstat didn't show the open port connecting to the
IRC channel, and
neither did fport. There was even a GUI menu that
showed which processes
were hidden and which one's weren't. You could
choose which things to
hide, and which ones to let show. All of the normal
methods of gathering
system info were on the menu. I didn't get to make a
complete forensic
examination because the user of the box had messed
around with things
before I got there.