Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: backdoor

From: "Liam Grant" <Liam.Grant () exodus net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:53:38 -0700

Not to comment on the rest of the discussion, but in answer to the question of whether people have been charged for
leaving machines up after compromise.

I am aware of at least one case in the US, reported in the media, where a small ISP was being DoS'd (along with their
customers).  They managed to get a temporary restraining order requiring the disconnection and proper securing of the
computers of 5 major companies taken over and used in the attack.  The judge ordered all machines in the hosting data
center belonging to those companies disconnected until such time as the owners could show due diligence and care in
preventing further attacks through their machines.

This is a long way from criminal neglect, and I don't know the further disposition of the case, but it ain't peanuts.
Will you be held responsible if your machines are used to attack someone else and you don't do anything (or enough)?
It depends on the jurisdiction and the judge.  This was before 9/11, so take that into account in the response also.

Liam Grant
Senior Security Consultant
Exodus, A Cable & Wireless Service
Delivering the Internet promise
www.exodus.net
liam.grant () exodus net
(781) 522 7621    Office
(617) 201 9035    Mobile
Address 175 Wyman Road, Waltham MA 02451

[Statements above do not reflect the opinions of my employers.]