Security Incidents mailing list archives

Solaris hack

From: Jamie Lawrence <jal () abulafia com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:05:06 -0800

I'm helping with a Solaris 8 box that was rooted.

The attacker replaced the /usr/bin/mc680*0 binaries,
so many of the usual administrative commands are
misbehaving. Is this from a rootkit anyone has seen
before?

This is a production box, and has to stay up for a while
yet (the usual bad sort of administrative neglect), so reinstalling
from scratch is not an approach I can take this minute.

I'm just looking for pointers on what I can expect, so  I can
hopefully temporarily plug some holes until the box can
be rebuilt.

TIA.

-j