Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: strange telnet behavior

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:56:54 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Vladimir Ivaschenko wrote:

_sysctl({{CTL_KERN, KERN_OSRELEASE}, 2, "2.2.16-22", 9, NULL, 0})
                                           ^^^^^^^^^
Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
Kernel 2.4.2-2 on an i586
         ^^^^^^^
Hmm...interesting. Also, you said you ran RH 7.0, not 7.1?

open("/etc/ld.so.preload", O_RDONLY)    = 3

Most systems do not have ld.so.preload.

I.e., strace does not give any output after
'open("/etc/nsswitch.conf", O_RDONLY)    = 3' ! If I try to use
ltrace, the application blocks completely.

chkrootkit does not give any alarms. The server is running RedHat
7.0.

Your machine's kernel has probably been tampered with. Or some core
libraries. Or /etc/ld.so.preload (I recall there is a rootkit using this
method to control all (dynamically linked) programs out there.)

You need to reboot your machine using a clean copy of the OS and
other software (preferrably a read-only one).

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."