Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: large scale distributed scan of port tcp 445

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:20:25 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

I don't see the logic in your statement.  The Win32
API vulnerabilities pertain to GDI...are you implying
that the port 445 scans are intending to log into
Win2K via Direct Host, and then perhaps inject some
code that exploits the GDI issue?

--- "Jim Harrison (SPG)" <jmharr () microsoft com> wrote:
Given the recent announcement of Windows API
vulnerabilities, a sudden
spike in TCP-445 scans isn't all that surprising.
If you're blocking it, then IMHO, your only real
concern is whether or
not it's interfering with your bandwidth...

* Jim Harrison
MCP(NT4/2K), A+, Network+
Services Platform Division

The burden of proof is not satisfied by a lack of
evidence to the
contrary..