Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible tirpwire false alarm?

From: Jose Nazario <jose () biocserver BIOC cwru edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:13:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Sebastian Ip wrote:

I ran md5sum on my own workstation the firewall and a thrid mandrake
8.1 install that my housemate just installed yesterday night i did it
as soon as he installed it so it's pretty much 99% trusted. And the
md5sums came back the same each time.

does rpm use open() on the file or read() to calculate? what about md5sum,
read() or open()? look into L5, which uses MD5 sums as one of its fields,
but uses open(). a kernel module to redirect read() differently than
open() calls could fool older versions of tripwire (i don't recall what
version you said you were using). this was discussed in phrack some years
ago.

just a thought.

jose nazario                                                 jose () cwru edu
                     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
                                       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)