Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Possible tirpwire false alarm?

From: Sebastian Ip <9scki () qlink queensu ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:22:37 -0400

I am not running any backup software.

I ran md5sum on my own workstation the firewall and a thrid mandrake 8.1
install that my housemate just installed yesterday night i did it as soon as
he installed it so it's pretty much 99% trusted. And the md5sums came back
the same each time.

Rerunning results in the same warnings. And today i have a few more files
also in /bin changed plus /etc/profile.d changed but no file /etc/profile.d
has been changed. Again the new changes shows no differences in md5sum on any
of the 3 linux boxes here. One of which is a trusted fresh install.

So i dont' really know what's going on. Waht i want to ask is if it is
possible that there is a on going disk failure and blocks are moving around
and tripwire's detecting that? Cause that drive's about 3 years old and it's
been up a long long time.

thanks for the quick replies

Sebastian Ip