Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: How to cope with, uhm, "mentally challenged" abuse personnel?

From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe () RWTH-Aachen DE>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:31:22 +0100

On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 16:12:07 -0600, Gary Maltzen wrote:

Could it be something about the way you report the incidents?

I don't think so. This is what I use to start my messages (I used a message
posted recently here in this mailing list as a template, and changed it to fit
my needs):

Hi there,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but one of your IPs apparently
engaged in a port scan of our network.  This is not normal behavior,
leading us to suspect that your host, or a user account on that host,
may be compromised.

Could you please check into the matter, take any necessary action, and
if you deem necessary inform us about any results?

Thanks,

Ralf

PS: logfile timestamps are GMT+1, synced to a Stratum-1 timeserver.

In my initial report (to abuse-noverbose () uu net), I usually include
a brief statement about why the activity I am reporting seems abnormal,
even if "obvious".

I only do this when they refute my report, I usually write something as
follows:

The following traffic cannot be of "normal origin," since none of our LAN
IPs ever leave the LAN, but are subject to NAT. Therefore, how come that
there are incoming packets addressed to non-visible addresses?

Gary>I typically report sweeps of our address space and other obvious
Gary>exploit attempts.

I have a similar policy of reporting things.

-------- UU NET response to one of my scanning reports ---------
[...]
This is a follow-up message from the UUNET Internet Abuse Investigations
Department to let you know the security incident referenced in the
subject line above was researched and handled according to UUNET`s
Service Agreement with its customers.
[...]
Unless you wish to pursue further action, we will close this incident, but

I haven't yet received a reply similar to the above one. I've ONLY received
"normal traffic" replies so far. :-(

Thanks.

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\