Security Incidents mailing list archives

Priorities (was: Bind8 exploit and a deleted partition map)

From: Dustin Mitchell <dustin () CS UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:11:47 -0600

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Crist Clark wrote:
Derek Kwan wrote:
2) Keep your software version updated

It's tough, but try, try, and have an idea about priorities. Which
needs to be fixed by end of the week, which by end of the day, and
which needs to be turned off NOW until it is fixed.

I'd like a little more advice on this subject: what are some of the
factors that should influence this prioritization?  Maybe I can list a
few; please add/correct:

a) Exposure (e.g. who are your local users, is the machine behind a
   firewall)
b) Existence of a rootkit
c) Evidence of attempts or scans
d) Breadth of vulnerability (e.g. root shell, DoS, or just breaking the
   AppleTalk server that only one person uses)

Dustin

| Dustin Mitchell                                        )O(        |