Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Handling Scans.

From: Michael Boman <michael () ELINUX COM SG>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:20:59 +0800

Joe Shaw wrote:

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Reeves, Mike wrote:

I was trying to get some community type feedback on what people usually do
in handling scans of thier networks. At home I usually look back at the
person scanning me. I get scanned about 5 times a day. Should I take the
time to contact the admin or should I just let it go? What do most people
do?

I generally don't do anything because port scanning isn't against the law.
At best it may violate the AUP of the ISP/NSP providing the transport, but
most places don't and won't act upon those types of notifications to
abuse@.  Just log them and keep your eyes peeled for more nefarious
behavior that could come after them.  If/when you see that, then it's time
to get on the horn and start notifying people.

Some countries has different laws, like here in Singapore where I am it
is illigal to portscan without having prior permission to do so. You
have to adjust your security policy acording to your local laws.

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
"eLINUX  ---  Enabling the Net Economy on Linux"
Michael Boman                   eLinux Pte Ltd