Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: LINK Question

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <root () rgfsparc cr usgs gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:52:42 -0600

They were unsuccessful because they got error code 501.
501 means that your server does not support the facility required.
i.e LINK method. 501 means "Not implemented".

Sorry, I apparently didn't make myself clear.  I know what the Link
method does and what 501 means. What I don't know is why these
requests come in every three hours, and what they're trying
to accomplish.  Is it just a poll to see if any meta information
has changed at the site?  I'd like to filter these out of my logs,
but not until I assure myself that they aren't of any consequence,
security-wise.

Thanks.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP