Security Incidents mailing list archives

LINK Question

From: "Robert G. Ferrell" <root () rgfsparc cr usgs gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:54:31 -0600

Hi Folks,

Since 26 Nov 2000 I've gotten a total of 342 of these (from my HTTP access log):

adsl-63-192-133-22.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net - - [26/Nov/2000:23:26:17 -0600] "LINK
/sysadmin/oui.html HTTP/1.1" 501 173

They come at intervals of about every three hours.  The HTTP error log shows

Invalid method in request LINK /sysadmin/oui.html HTTP/1.1

for each hit.  The page in question is one that allows people to
look up information about the Organizationally Unique Identifier
(OUI) portion of the MAC address of a NIC.

I know vaguely what a LINK request is in HTTP, but I'm not clear on
exactly what's going on here, and why it continues despite the
apparent lack of success.  Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks in advance.

RGF

Robert G. Ferrell, CISSP
Information Systems Security Officer