Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 10:13:47 +1300

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 12:23:26 -0800 (PST) "Jay D. Dyson"
<jdyson () treachery net> wrote:

Hi folks,

      I've been seeing a lot of SSHd scans of late.  That in itself
isn't odd, but the sheer volume of the scans is what's got my attention.
These sorts of scans used to occur infrequently, but now they're coming
within minutes of each other, and they're coming from all over the globe.

      Has anyone else seen this sort of thing from their systems?

I'm seeing four or five scans a day across two disparate network
blocks. (i.e. *total* of four or five).