Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Voluminous SSHd scanning; possible worm activity?

From: Armando Ortiz <aortiz () onlinetraffic com>
Date: 10 Dec 2001 12:22:04 -0800

The scans have to do with someone searching for SSH Protocol 1 CRC32
Compensation vulnerabilities.

I would disable SSH1 and use SSH2.

Regards.

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 12:23, Jay D. Dyson wrote:

Hi folks,

      I've been seeing a lot of SSHd scans of late.  That in itself
isn't odd, but the sheer volume of the scans is what's got my attention.
These sorts of scans used to occur infrequently, but now they're coming
within minutes of each other, and they're coming from all over the globe.

      It's not in my nature to speculate wildly, but the sheer volume of
these scans, coupled with the variety of their origins (not to mention the
timing) leads me to wonder if a worm isn't at play here.

      Has anyone else seen this sort of thing from their systems?
--
 From the Linux Box of Armando Ortiz
                       System Administrator