Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ACK scan - RESOLUTION

From: "Todd Ransom" <transom () extremelogic com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:27:50 -0400

I finally tracked the ACK scans all the way down.  It turns out to be a RTT
calculation performed by a network device made by RadWare.  Once I started
capturing all traffic from these machines I could see a pattern:

them -> me 37852 udp
them -> me icmp echo req
them -> me tcp ack          * this is what snort picked up
them -> me tcp syn           * radware waits for syn/ack then RSTs the
connection

I found this explanation at SANS:

http://www.sans.org/y2k/031401.htm

hopefully this will keep someone else from spending several days tracking
this down like I did.

TR

"Information is not knowledge."
--Caleb Carr