Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Unsuspected "named" behaviour

From: dewt <dewt () kc rr com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:31:04 -0500

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 12:18 pm, Gustav wrote:
Hi!

While doing some searching after an imaginary bug on my name-server, I
stumbled across something strange.
I found "named" listening on an undocumented high udp-port. I haven't heard
of this before, so I wondered if one of you geniouses could help me out. My
paranoid side is screaming trojan, but I haven't found any documentation on
the subject. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm running Bind 8.2.3 on a Linux box with kernel 2.2.16.

regards

Gustav

named will bind to a random udp port in addition to 53, you can lock this to
a specific port by adding "query-source address * port 2048;" to your options
in named.conf of course you could pick any port you want. it could still be a
trojan, so i would set named to a fixed query source port and see if it binds
to that one, if it does, no trojan, if it doesn't you've got one