Security Incidents mailing list archives

Unsuspected "named" behaviour

From: "Gustav" <gustav () umbriel org>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 19:18:13 +0200

Hi!

While doing some searching after an imaginary bug on my name-server, I
stumbled across something strange.
I found "named" listening on an undocumented high udp-port. I haven't heard
of this before, so I wondered if one of you geniouses could help me out. My
paranoid side is screaming trojan, but I haven't found any documentation on
the subject. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm running Bind 8.2.3 on a Linux box with kernel 2.2.16.

regards

Gustav