Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: No one wants responsibility

From: "Laumann, Dave" <dlaumann () SUNTZU NET>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:16:25 -0500

unfortunately, i've succumbed to blocking several networks at my border
routers and am adding more on a regular basis. it is by far not the best
solution but it does filter some of the noise.

generally if the network owner or their upstream provider do not respond and
their address block subjectively does not require access to our site...
plonk.

-dave

Sometimes the cracker can be also the admin or can have
access to machine
which receives the emails... This is something that you
should consider
very much, I saw this happening a lot.. As the provider is
from Korea and
you're (probably) far from there, you cannot do anything..
just trying to
make a safer system and pray (so after you wont cry ;).

A few days ago, I received a reply to an intrusion attempt
report that I
sent to a Canadian ISP.  He did not want any more reports
(I have sent
two) as he did not have time and did not care about what his clients
did.

In browsing through the RR web pages I found that their AUP
no longer
contains any reference to hacking, cracking or other intrusions.

Another report to a Korean bounced back.  They post a contact e-mail
address, but then never read their mail.